Solar Flagships Project: NSW & QLD
The Solar Flagship Project was a Federal Government initiative launched in 2009 to construct large scale, grid-connected solar power stations. The aim of the program was to help Australia reach a target of 20% of energy sourced from renewables by 2020, with solar being a large contributor.
IXL Solar was selected by First Solar, a leading global provider of photovoltaic (PV) solutions, to manufacture the galvanised steel mounting systems for this $450 million project owned by AGL, in conjunction with Australian Renewable Energy Agency (ARENA) and the NSW Government.
The project was located across three individual sites: Nyngan (103MW), Broken Hill (53MW) and Gatton (3MW) in QLD, commencing in May 2014 and reaching completion in late 2015.
- Solar mounting system – 25° fixed tilt ground mount
- Combined size – 160MW
- Output – in excess of 360GWh per year
- Power supplied – enough for more than 50,000 homes
- CO2 displacement – more than 312,000 tonnes per year (equivalent to taking 82,000 cars off the road)
- Solar panels supported – more than 2,000,000
- Steel supplied – more than 6,000 tonnes
- Ground covered – 3.9km2
- Jobs– more than 60 people employed directly by IXL Solar